Law Office of Bradley R. Tengler, P.C.

What Happens if I Fall Behind on Child Support Payments?

The Division of Child Support Services (DCSS) helps custodial parents obtain and enforce child support orders. DCSS services are provided free of charge. The DCSS has statutory authority to use special collection tools when noncustodial parents get behind in paying child support.

When the DCSS is involved in a child support case, the DCSS computer system will automatically recognize when a parent is behind on payments and calculate the delinquent amount. The noncustodial parent's employer will then be served with an Income Withholding for Support. This will result in a deduction directly from the parent's paycheck until the delinquent amount is paid. This deduction is in addition to the already ordered child support payments.

The DCSS also has the right to do one or more of the following: intercept federal and state income tax returns; intercept lottery winnings; place liens on property; seize bank accounts; report the debt to collection agencies; deny or revoke passports; report debt to credit reporting agencies; suspend driver's license; and/or publish name, photo, and past due amount online. The State has set up a web site just for publishing information on these deadbeat parents ( To publish parent information on this site the parent must be at least 5,000 dollars behind in child support payments.

The noncustodial parent must be notified before the DCSS takes any of the above actions. If the noncustodial parent disagrees with the DCSS calculation of past-due child support, the noncustodial parent has the right to ask the DCSS to review the account and make sure the amount is correct.

For more information on enforcing child support orders, please feel free to contact The Law Office of Bradley R. Tengler in Rockford, IL at 815-981-4859 for a free consultation. Please note, the above does not constitute legal advice. Please discuss your specific rights with an attorney in your own jurisdiction.


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Top 3 Divorce Lawyers in Rockford

Have a legal question?
Need help from an attorney?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Office of Bradley R. Tengler, P.C. 728 North Court Street, Suite B Rockford, IL 61103 Rockford Law Office Map