ROCKFORD DIVORCE LAWYER SERVING NORTHERN ILLINOIS
The divorce process is a personal one, affecting you and your family in many ways. As you go through this process, it is important to be represented by a lawyer who will take time to become familiar with the details of your situation. Working with an attorney who has a proven track record will ensure that your best interests are kept in the foreground.
At Law Office of Bradley R. Tengler, P.C., we offer our clients highly individualized legal services and are committed to providing quality legal counsel. Our law firm represents a wide range of clients throughout the Rockford area in divorce and family law matters, including contested divorce, mediation and more.
There is no charge for your first consultation. Contact us today at 815-515-4168 to arrange an appointment.
GROUNDS FOR DIVORCE AND SEPARATION
Illinois is a no-fault state for divorce, meaning that divorcing couples can cite irreconcilable differences. The state no longer uses other grounds such as mental cruelty or adultery. A couple must be separated for two years, unless both parties agree to waive the two-year separation. If so, then a couple must be separated for six months.
DIVORCE PROCESS IN ILLINOIS
Specific steps in the divorce process depend on several factors. When significant assets are involved, the property division process can be much more complex. In a divorce with minimal or no assets, this process can be very straightforward. We assist our clients with all divorce-related matters, including:
Allocation of parental responsibilities (formerly child support) — In an effort to ease animosity between parents after divorce, Illinois has eliminated the term child custody. Now, in addition to parenting time, parents will allocate individual parental responsibilities between them, such as decisions about education, medical care, religion, etc.
- Child support — It is important to make sure all of a child’s needs are addressed when determining support, including expenses for medical costs and education.
- Maintenance/(alimony) — There are guidelines for determining spousal maintenance. In addition, one spouse may be able to obtain temporary support while the case is pending.
- Property division — We are adept at handling complex and significant asset division such as:
- Preserving stock options
- Protecting state and federal pension plans
- Handling business interests as well as business appraisal
- Valuing and handling real estate investment property and vacation homes
- Uncovering offshore holdings and hidden assetsAt Law Office of Bradley R. Tengler, P.C., we are experienced at representing men and women in all types of divorce cases, including high net worth divorce. Attorney Brad Tengler has the experience and knowledge to represent skilled professionals, physicians, business owners and more.
ALSO HANDLING CASES IN FREEPORT — LEGAL SEPARATION ATTORNEY
There is no charge to learn about the legal services we provide. Please contact our Rockford divorce lawyer at 815-515-4168 to schedule an initial consultation. Evening and weekend appointments are available by request.