Jul 20, 2018 | Child Custody


While this blog has in the past mentioned that parents in Rockford, Illinois, can ask for their allocation of parental responsibilities to be changed, the subject may bear some further discussion.

After all, it could well be of importance to a parent who realizes that his or her child needs a different child custody arrangement for the child’s own good. Likewise, parents who are trying to rebuild their relationship with their children will want to know how the can take the next legal step in doing so.

In Illinois, a parent has the option to ask for a change of parental allocation if doing so is in the best interest of the child. Perhaps more importantly, the parent will in most cases have to prove that there has been what the law calls a change in circumstances. This means something significant has happened in either the child’s or the parent’s lives, like a move or a change in either the parents’ or the children’s work schedule.

There are some exceptions to this rule. For instance, if the change of custody merely reflects what has been in fact going on over six months, then the parent need not prove the change. Likewise, minor changes might not require proof of a change in circumstances.

While there as an option to file for a change in parental responsibilities, proving to a court that a change is a good idea, particularly if the other parent does not agree with it, can be hard. For this reason, it is often wise for a parent who is seeking a change to consult with a family law attorney.