Lack of courage to divorce is the number one reason unhappy married couples stay together, according to a recent study done by a United Kingdom law firm. The study surveyed 2,000 married people and found the top ten reasons unhappy couples stay married are:
- Not sure I have the courage
- I might regret it
- I’m hoping things will improve
- It would have too big an impact on the family/need to stay together for the kids
- I wouldn’t be able to sustain myself financially
- I wouldn’t want to leave my home or have to sell the family house
- I’m too old to walk away now
- would feel guilty leaving them
- I’m scared to be on my own
- I’m worried about being lonely.
While this study surveyed people from the United Kingdom, it is likely that these are the same top reasons unhappy couples here in the United States of America stay together. While divorce should be the last resort a couple takes, it should not be avoided at all cost. According to the study, “one in four married parents sometimes feels they only stay together for the sake of the children.” Other studies have shown that staying together just for your children’s sake does not make your children happier. Children know when their parents are unhappy. Studies show children are happier if their parents are happy.
For more information on filing for divorce, please feel free to contact The Law Office of Bradley R. Tengler in Rockford, IL at 815-981-4859 for a free consultation. Please note, the above does not constitute legal advice. Please discuss your specific rights with an attorney in your own jurisdiction.